Sunday, October 31, 2010

Caring Man

“The Guest” by Albert Camus is a short story with three characters: Daru, Balducci and the Arab, each of whom represents a different human value. The character that interests me the most is Daru , a schoolmaster who stands out for his compassion toward humans and animals alike. From the start of the story Daru exhibits a solid moral code which allows him to be forgiving of and compassionate with the Arab, his cousin’s killer, who is also now a prisoner. Daru has no fear of the killer, and is willing to stand up to Balducci and disobey his order because he knows that what Balducci is asking him to do is wrong. In making a larger meal and feeding the Arab, Daru is going against the conventional wisdom and code of ethics which would require him to be unmerciful to his cousin’s killer. Not caring about what others may think or whether they may chastise him for his merciful behavior towards a killer, Daru seems sure of what he does. He has solid convictions and is not afraid to act according to them. I believe there is, potentially, a Daru in all us. In the world in which we live, we all run across situations when our core values are tested. I know that to be the case with me. Often I find myself in Daru-type situations when, I too, want to do a good deed and not just for the purpose of getting recognition from others, although that too is nice to get, but rather to help a fellow human being in need. The difference between Daru and I is that Daru acts on his convictions without hesitating. I, on the other hand, am afraid of unwarranted consequences. After all, good deed shall go unpunished.

No comments:

Post a Comment