In Plato’s “Allegory of the Cave,” a prisoner, bonded with chains, escapes his bondage and slowly adjusts to the light until he sets himself free. Much like that prisoner, I too, had been bonded and in the shadows for most of my life. Since I was a child, people have always underestimated me as a person and have underestimated my capabilities. It has always been a struggle for me having to hear from people, mostly strangers, what I can and cannot do. Sometimes when you hear the same message over and over again, it becomes a reality and you start questioning yourself, losing your self-confidence and, ultimately, lowering your goals in life. I’ve been told from childhood into adulthood that I’m not smart enough, not strong enough, not fast enough; that I’m just a member of a worthless minority class and that I would not accomplish anything worthwhile in my life. My bondage came about from believing people’s negative opinions of me. During middle school and high school I let myself fall in the clutch of evil puppeteers and, as a result, my self-confidence was very low and I had no aspirations to do well in school. I now know that the negative comments I heard about me played a major role in my formative years . Psychologically, I was beaten so bad, that my only goal during those years was to survive my daily bondage during school hours and do my best to get home to my grandfather’s loving and supportive embrace.
I started to see the light towards the end of my high school years when, after a long and painful process of soul searching, I began to believe that I was capable of accomplishment. Of course, this did not happen overnight, nor did I see the light all by myself. Rather, I had a lot of help from people I met in high school and whom I now call my friends. These people were very patient with me as I built up my confidence one step at a time . They shone on me the bright light of their friendship and I was able to pull myself out of the dark and find the path to enlightenment.
I still find those who doubt me, but my approach to what they say about me is now different. Since my first day in college I’ve thrived on proving my naysayers wrong every day that passes by. This much I know: I might not be the smartest or the fastest, but I am the most stubborn. And there, I believe, lies my biggest strength, for I will not abandon my goals; I will not give up. I will show the world that I can do anything I propose to do and I will compensate with effort and hard work any of my shortcomings. I am greatly inspired by Einstein’s own definition of what is genius. He said: “Genius is ninety percent perspiration, and ten percent inspiration.” If that is marginally true, then, there is plenty of hope for me.
Hi Carlos,
ReplyDeleteThis is a well written and introspective blog. I don't have time to write a full response because you submitted this late after I had completed your class's responses, but I did want to let you know I assigned you "Shawshank Redemption" as your movie pick. Though you listed it second, I think that out of your five picks, this one relates most to your story. Red's speech near the end of the movie to the Parole Board, and then his own liberation in finding Andy, represent a release from the same kinds of bonds that held you back earlier in your life. And like you, a good friend helped him see how much potential he had not only to live a life of his own making, but make that life as good as he wanted it to be. Great work here, and there, and let me know if you'd like to discuss your essay topic further. I'm looking forward to seeing where you take it.